search
top

Learn How: Setting a Google Alert

I am one of those bloggers who features other crafters about 75% of the time (my own projects are the other 25% plus contests, reviews, etc).  If you are not like me and feature yourself all the time, my hats off to you.  You are a hard worker.  If you are like me, you are still a hard worker because you have to find all of the projects to feature.  I have a great online tool for both of you.

I wish I could tell you that the Mod Podge projects I find are collected by God himself and faxed to me in a weekly update, but that’s not the case.  He’s busier doing other things, so I have to use something different.  I’m about to make your life a lot easier.  Google Alerts.  Here’s the skinny on how to create Google Alerts so that you can receive topics of interest directly in your e-mail box.

  1. Sign up for a Google account.  Don’t write it on a sticky note and then forget where you put it.  Not that I’ve done that.
  2. Visit Google Alerts and enter your search terms.  TIP: Get savvy with your search terms.  Not only do I search for “Mod Podge” but I search for “Modge Podge” since so many people say it differently.  If there are standard variations, remember to capture those in a different search.  You can also subtract out words.  “Mod Podge -books” will give you every Mod Podge search result except for those with the word “books” included.
  3. Set all your different alerts, using the various types of alerts and time frames that work for you.  Time ranges from at-the-moment to once at week.
  4. Modify your alerts as necessary.  If the e-mails are overwhelming or you aren’t getting any results for a search term, do some investigation on your search and change them until you get it right.

I promise you are going to love Google Alerts.  Even if you aren’t a project feature-r like myself, it’s still a great way to network and meet other bloggers with the same interests.  It’s also a great opportunity to practice goodwill and leave nice comments.  Who knows what will come of it – it’s worth a shot.

banner ad

4 Responses to “Learn How: Setting a Google Alert”

  1. Krystal says:

    Thanks! I knew about alerts but never thought of a way to use them like that. I could spend all day everyday reading blogs I’ve run across from other blogs & on & on!

  2. heather says:

    I love getting Google Alerts. It’s amazing how many people out there talk about a blog w/out actually linking to it. Also, your paragraph about God faxing you ideas was sheer brilliance.

  3. TidyMom says:

    This is great! I’ve been using it for about 2 years……..and the minus out is great too…I do Tidymom -laundry -laundromat because there is a TidyMom laundromat! lol

  4. Jessiena says:

    This is one of those tools that I’ve read about, meant to use and never got around to. Thanks for the reminder not to jot it on a post-it and forget about it, I’m going to do it now. Thank you!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Monitoring Yourself: Beyond Just Googling Your Name | CrafterMinds - [...] wrote a post about Setting Up a Google Alert: TIP: Get savvy with your search terms.  Not only do…
  2. Blogging is a full-time job - take time to relax. - Mod Podge Rocks - [...] Does Your Blog Make People Cringe?Learn How: Truncating PostsPutting Your Big Girl Panties On: Dealing with Negative CommentsMy Blog…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

top