I am one of those bloggers who features other crafters about 75% of the time (my own projects are the other 25% plus contests, reviews, etc). If you are not like me and feature yourself all the time, my hats off to you. You are a hard worker. If you are like me, you are still a hard worker because you have to find all of the projects to feature. I have a great online tool for both of you.
I wish I could tell you that the Mod Podge projects I find are collected by God himself and faxed to me in a weekly update, but that’s not the case. He’s busier doing other things, so I have to use something different. I’m about to make your life a lot easier. Google Alerts. Here’s the skinny on how to create Google Alerts so that you can receive topics of interest directly in your e-mail box.
- Sign up for a Google account. Don’t write it on a sticky note and then forget where you put it. Not that I’ve done that.
- Visit Google Alerts and enter your search terms. TIP: Get savvy with your search terms. Not only do I search for “Mod Podge” but I search for “Modge Podge” since so many people say it differently. If there are standard variations, remember to capture those in a different search. You can also subtract out words. “Mod Podge -books” will give you every Mod Podge search result except for those with the word “books” included.
- Set all your different alerts, using the various types of alerts and time frames that work for you. Time ranges from at-the-moment to once at week.
- Modify your alerts as necessary. If the e-mails are overwhelming or you aren’t getting any results for a search term, do some investigation on your search and change them until you get it right.
I promise you are going to love Google Alerts. Even if you aren’t a project feature-r like myself, it’s still a great way to network and meet other bloggers with the same interests. It’s also a great opportunity to practice goodwill and leave nice comments. Who knows what will come of it – it’s worth a shot.
4 Responses to “Learn How: Setting a Google Alert”
- Monitoring Yourself: Beyond Just Googling Your Name | CrafterMinds - [...] wrote a post about Setting Up a Google Alert: TIP: Get savvy with your search terms. Not only do…
- Blogging is a full-time job - take time to relax. - Mod Podge Rocks - [...] Does Your Blog Make People Cringe?Learn How: Truncating PostsPutting Your Big Girl Panties On: Dealing with Negative CommentsMy Blog…