Do You Follow the Latest Crafty Trends?

Sheep Been Herded 6
via

Are you a {trend} follower?

Do you ever find yourself jumping on a trend bandwagon?

Well, I have to confess. I did. And I regret it.

I made a project because it might be neat to blog about it.

And it was not my taste.

It was supposed to be a cheap chip-n-dip tray turned beach ball door hanging.

I said to myself: “Cool! This is perfect for summer door decor and dollar store projects are so popular. People will love to hear about that.”

Then I got it home and started to paint it. After the first coat of paint my initial reaction was, “What the heck was I thinking? This is not me at all.”  So, I did not finish the project and you will not see the final vision. You can imagine the result, right? And if you love the idea, please feel free to make one.

But this project taught me a lesson.

I cannot and should not create or cook something just because everyone else is doing it or it will attract a lot of interest. I need to stay true to my tastes and preferences. The project should be something I love first.

In general, I love watching trends. They are often repeated because they are great ideas. There is a reason you still see loads of bloggers writing about their new coffee filter wreath – it is an easy, cheap idea that looks gorgeous. And some trends are not really trends. They are just the latest recycling of a timeless idea. (gallery walls, white kitchens, painted furniture, thrifting, etc.)

Watching what is popular out there gives me loads of ideas. And a little crafty experimentation is healthy. It is good to push ourselves out of our own creative comfort zone to see if we like something. Following trends may be part of the industry but readers can see through a project that it is not really ‘you’. I think there is a way to incorporate popular fads into your home that still work with your taste.

I will follow a trend if it fits with what I like. But in general, I need to remind myself that it has to be “me” first. My hope is that if I stay true to myself, I will attract and keep readers that appreciate the same kind of stuff. That is probably the best way to grow my blog versus writing about the hottest “it” fad. When I’m working on a project that IS so ‘me’, I can’t wait to finish it. I’m so excited to see it completed. The feedback I get from my readers is usually equally excited… Then I know I’m doing something right!

There are many trends that I love and are likely to remain a staple on my blog. I will continue making dollar store/cheap projects. These never go out of style, I just need to be careful not to make something just because it is cheap. I think I will always use spray paint for projects. I love chalkboards, wreaths, typography and thrifted finds. And at the heart of my blog, I know that all of my projects and recipes need to be simple.

But there are some styles that I may never follow. It’s not that I don’t love these trends, I do. In fact, on  my Facebook page I feature these ideas frequently. There are a TON of blogs that I read weekly that rock certain fashions in their own way.  I follow blogs of all shapes, sizes and styles and I’m inspired by their DIY ambition. The latest craze in crafts or home decor might not easily fit with our tastes… but I still find it fun to read.  I’m personally not into heavily distressed furniture. I prefer clean and classic looks. Shabby chic, rustic or  uber-modern are not really “me”. And I will likely never use burlap or loads of ruffles on a project.

And there are still oodles of popular ideas I want to try: clothing refashions, gallery walls, and maybe cake pops.

And the beauty of it all is that I’m allowed to change my mind.

It changes a lot. (just ask my husband)

So in a year or two… I may hate chalkboards and be really into loads of ruffles. We will see! That’s the fun about working on projects (and reading blogs).

If I did not change, I think I’d write a pretty boring blog, right?

So, fess up.

Have you made something just to blog about it and the project was not really “you”!?!? Tell me I’m not alone!

And If you don’t have a blog, but you read a lot of them, tell me: What trends are you tired of seeing? And what do you want to see more of?

I’m the 30-something blogger behind Madigan Made. I live in Pennsylvania and I work by day, create and blog by night. I crave simple and easy craft and decor ideas. I love to write, take photos and make stuff (a blogging trifecta, no?). I also love my handsome hubby and boisterous pup. Oh, and little dark chocolate and a lot of coffee!

21 Responses to “Do You Follow the Latest Crafty Trends?”

1. Great post, Madigan!! I think we’ve all fallen victim to a trend or two that just didn’t work out. Being true to yourself is so important for a blogger–readers know when you’re being fake! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• Rachel says:

How funny that you posted this today. I just did a “tray makeover” because I thought it would be good to put on my blog, not necessarily because I had an overwhelming desire to do it…and the response has been pretty lukewarm. But a few weeks ago, I posted something about some goodwill finds and what I did with them…not intending to put them on the blog; it was just something I did…and that post has the second-most “views” on my entire blog! I did learn a lesson from that…post about what I actually love to do, not what I think people want to see. 🙂

• Thanks, Rachel.
        I have found over time that if I’m excited about a project, so are my readers.
        If a project starts to feel like work…or something I just have to get it done… then I can anticipate a pretty lukewarm response on the blog.

• Thanks, Amanda. I agree that authenticity is key!

2. Ali says:

I don’t really craft so personally I don’t have a strong opinion on this. I guess my question would be is it a difference between being inspired by a trend you really like, or just doing something for the sake of trying to get traffic.

When it comes to food, which is more my area, I notice the trends of foods on a stick, bacon, etc. I don’t follow them per se, but if it looks delicious I will go ahead and make it. That said I think I can see maybe the point you are making, with food people go kind of absurd with making things ‘on a stick’ or a cooking within a brownie within a cake within a pie – sort of thing. haha. Those always seem silly to me. Why not just make some delicious cookies? Or a tasty cake? Why mash it all up?

If someone really loves a current trend, will their readers assume they are shamelessly hoping on a trend bandwagon if they post about their project? I hope not.

3. Ali says:

*a cooking –> supposed to say ‘a cookie within…’

4. This is a great post. Such a good point – not everything works for every person. I love the idea of featuring something that just isn’t you on your FB page – I do that a lot as well.

• Thanks, Heather!
      I love featuring other ideas that are not always my style. I may be inspired by their technique, their colors, etc. But the common theme with all of the projects I feature is that they are relatively simple to execute. And I think it’s kinda fun to live vicariously through someone else’s taste!

5. Jane says:

Great post again! I think we create for such personal reasons. I am probably the most untrendy person around the blogosphere. I like pretty things, but my creating takes me all over the map! I have created with burlap (upcycled coffee sacks). I use the rugs in my home because they are unique and functional. But my home isn’t country French by any style. And I’m not sure I would want burlap pillows on my couch – just doesn’t fit. Sometimes I make something because it’s a challenge, sometimes because I love the fabric. But for me I mostly create practical things that I can use.

• Thanks, Jane! If we follow our gut and make what we love, I think over time it will attract the readers we want. I may not have thousands of followers, but I can at least hope that the ones that read regularly appreciate a similar style. That makes me satisfied as a blogger.

6. Katie B says:

I want to follow trends but I can’t pull them off OR I can’t afford the new supplies needed to follow. There are also a lot of trends in scrapbooking that I will not follow because they just don’t work for boy pages.

7. Most of my projects are something that I am actually going to use… things for me or the family, gifts, etc.
    Whenever I go outside of that, making something because I think it might be good for the blog, it ends up sitting around causing clutter and collecting dust. Never a good thing!
    For me, I think it is best when I stick to projects that I’m still going to want, long after the blog traffic to that page has died down… : )

8. I have been disassembling my coffee filter wreath because we ran out of filters at home and I gotta have my morning coffee! LOL

9. Condo Blues says:

I tend to fall into a craft/DIY trend with Condo Blues or food trend with Lazy Budget Chef more by accident than design. If I try to do something trendy for trendy’s sake it usually ends up like Madgin’s project. That’s not to say that I don’t blog about craft, decorating, or DIY trends. For those posts, I feature other bloggers, with full credit and links of course, who do it well/inspire me/wish I had a need for their really sweet project.

10. Jennifer says:

I confess I’ve followed some trends, mostly because I thought I liked them, then after starting them I decided, “eh, this is just not me.” Hehe. So glad I am not the only one. 🙂

11. I tried the red white and blue layered drink from pinterest. It did not go well. Not even on the 2nd try.