Why Don’t People Comment?

martha stewart stripe brush

We got a question on the CM Facebook page from Laurie at Scene of Sublime:

I have a blogging problem – it’s really getting to me! It’s been happening for months now. I think it’s partially due to Pinterest (which I love using myself), but it’s hurting my bloggy feelings/mojo. Here goes: I’m getting very few to NO comments on my posts these days. And although all of them aren’t “rocket science,” I do some pretty good stuff on a pretty regular basis. Any thoughts anyone? And yes, I visit and leave comments for others. I FB, I tweet, I link up, etc. I feel kinda I’m floating alone out there…..hello? ello? llo? o?

Discuss!

60 Responses to “Why Don’t People Comment?”

1. It’s kind of an epidemic, unfortunately. It’s why I decided to write an entire series dedicated to commenting—because I was really noticing. Everyone is so frantic to link their posts up to 42 blog parties every day and get hits that they are forgetting that the basic building block of a readership is INTERACTION! At this point, I feel like the only thing that’s going to help is bloggers who are willing to set good examples.

2. I feel the same way! I have no clue how/why this is happening or how to improve. I feel like I do an awesome tutorial post and get no comments, but yet another blogger posts a super simple post about loving throw pillows and has 136 comments.

It’s discouraging, and sometimes it makes me wonder why I bother, but I keep at it anyway hoping I’ll eventually get more followers/commenters. :)

Bottom line- I know how you feel.

• Imy says:

This discussion is fantastic. I’ve read all the comments on this thread and completely relate to what you have said monica. Some people seem to be like the popular kids at school used to be and anything they say gets people to just faint on the spot while others toil away for months or even years on end, producing quality blog posts, with little recognistion. Worse than this, the ‘popular’ blogs often seem to feature things already featured on other less popular blogs but they only become trendsetting or worth reading once the ‘popular’ blogs write about them.

• Imy says:

Sorry about the typo, just woken up!

• this is so so so true and i find it incredibly frustrating too. i am not one of the popular kids and have considered just giving it up recently. i sure don’t bother to post as much as i used to. and no it isn’t because no one has time to comment – it is absolutely a popularity contest because there are some blogs that get LOADS of comments every time.

• erin kirby says:

i totally AGREE! and what makes me even more annoyed is when i start following a blog and then a certain post goes viral, bringing in TONS of readers, and then the blog changes. all the sudden they have sponsors and are only doing sponsored reviews/giveaways and it totally changes the original feeling of the blog! i have stopped following some popular blogs because i liked them much more before they were “popular” and voted in the top 50 of whatever blogs. and i HATE it when people don’t respond to their commentors when they ask questions in their comments. like, what lens did you use to take that photo? or where did you get that adorable rug? i mean, come on people! site your stuff or reply, it’s not that hard :)

• Yvette says:

This is good to know in case blogging popularity ever goes to my head. I bet it would be easy to do. My best friend constantly reminds me to stay on the ground because it is reflected in my writing and that is what my readers like.

3. TheNextMartha says:

I think a lot of people spend a lot of time reading posts and then just don’t want to take the time to comment on every one too. If I visit a blog, I try to comment no matter what.

4. GegeCrochet says:

I find that I have my “regulars” who comment consistently and I love that. I’ve also found that my posts that receive the most comments are either amazing projects I’ve done (my Mario blanket dwarfs them all) or ones that seem to connect with my readers in a “Yeah! Me too!” sort of way. I only tweet my updated blogposts- I don’t have time to do all the new social media stuff that keeps popping up. Sometimes you have to draw a line- do I want to live my life and have entertaining things to blog about? Or do I want to be glued to the internetz posting on every social media outlet known to man about a filler blog post regarding all my social media interactions?

5. heather says:

I don’t really know because my blog has never really had a lot of comments on it.

I do know that a lot of commenting is not about how awesome your project is, but how you word your blog. Is there a call to action at the end? A lot of people won’t comment because you don’t ask them to.

Sometimes your blog is so professional and put together that there’s nothing more for your readers to add. It’s more like a magazine page than an interactive blog post. Try leaving things undone, or admit if there’s a detail you don’t like about the project. Appearing “human” sometimes makes all the difference.

I try NOT to say EVERYTHING in a blog post anymore – I leave room for my readers to add their own ideas, twists, or thoughts on the process or project.

• Your reply helped me feel better, and think. For one, I’m glad lack of comments is not about how awesome my project is. : ) lol And 2), I think maybe I’m saying everything, and then some! Many of my posts come out too long, and then I don’t know what to edit out. Working on it.

6. Kara says:

If I visit a smaller blog, I will usually always comment. When I go to a “big time” blog and I see all 125 comments that came before me, I tend to skip adding my own. I agree with Heather, sometimes it’s easier to comment when there’s something to say. If the blog post covered everything, it’s hard to come up with something other than “This is such a good idea.” Also, the call to action has really worked for me in the past. I will ask, “What are you reading this summer?” or “Who is your biggest craft inspiration? Let me know in the comments below!”

7. I agree with Heather. When you’ve said everything, there isn’t much more for readers to say. I also think that a lot of people feel silly about posting the same thing as the previous two comments, i.e. “Great tutorial/necklace/color combo!”
    I really do feel that a gentle nudge from the blogger to the reader, reminding them that bloggers LOVE comments, will really help most people to get the comments that they crave for that little ego boost. Like Heather said, some blogs are just so polished and popular, the reader needs to be reminded that there is a real flesh and blood person behind the words that would really value their feedback.

8. sister sheri says:

I have found that there are a couple reasons people don’t comment. One reason is that they are insecure and are afraid to comment for fear of humiliation. Another is that we live in a world that is accustomed to being a bystander… a watcher. It is noticeable on FB and Twitter, too. There are commenters and then there are viewers. If you think about it… when did we enter into this “if I read then I have to comment”? We never do that with magazines or newspapers. If you base your success on the numbers of comments then yes you will be disappointed. And we have to wonder… are we in need of affirmation? But if you base your success on your growth as a blogger or crafter or… on that one awesome compliment of mimicry.

Ummm… I guess that is why. Not that I have any experience in desiring more comments. No, not me. I haven’t put any thought into this at all. wink ;)

9. Melanie L says:

NOBODY Comments on mine either!

10. Melanie L says:

I always try to leave love on blog posts

11. MJ says:

I tend to get comments from a few regular readers but not from the majority of the followers. It is sad, although I have been told that my posts are read. A comment every now and then would be very nice though. I try to comment on other people’s blog but only do so when I really like their project. Maybe they feel the same?

12. I think part of the problem is how popular blogging has become- we all read so many blogs that it becomes extremely difficult to comment on the bulk of them. The posts that get zillions of comments are often giving something away. Really good tutorials might get just a comment or two. Back when there were fewer blogs, it was easier to comment on all of the ones you read.

I also get very few comments on my blog, but plenty of comments on my daily Facebook post that links to the blog. I think for a lot of people it’s easier to post on FB and they don’t feel the need to post on the blog as well. I’d rather it were the other way around, since the blog comments would stay with the post, while FB comments get buried almost immediately.

• I don’t get ANY comments on my FB page! ):

• Yvette says:

I agree with this too. I think it is much easier for people to comment on FB but on blogs there are fields you have to enter information into, captchas to decipher, and every blog comment block is different. It’s almost a pain. I try to make it easy for my readers to comment but I’m still confined to what Blogger has set up for it.

13. QC Kelsey says:

For me, it’s mostly people who put on all the stops – a comment form that opens in the window instead of a pop up or attached to the bottom (I prefer the pop up), plus a capture plus plus plus … when it takes forever to post a comment, it’s just not worth it.

And, I have limited time – so add that to outrageous comment forms … I wanna get the most done in the least time possible. I only get a few minutes a day – so it is not unusual for me to be several months behind in catching up. I use my Google Reader to catch up – so that’s an extra click to get to the blog to comment.

I have tons of blogs I follow so it’s hard to keep up. My problem is I always add more blogs to follow but then can’t keep up … I refuse to remove a subscription because it just feels … wrong?

14. I feel this way a lot. It’s funny because the posts I get the most traffic on gets the least number of comments. I have seen at the end of posts that sometimes people just have boxes that say, I found this useful, loved this, or thanks. Those get a lot of checks but there aren’t any comments. I may try the boxes. We will see.

• Yvette says:

I often wonder if the boxes might be a good addition. I don’t know if people are actually reading my post or glanced at it from a pin from Pinterest. That’s kind of why I like to see comments. To know that someone is reading and not just skimming through my pictures.

15. I also view a lot of blogs and don’t comment on them all, though like someone said above I tend to comment more if there are fewer comments. Once I see 125 coments,I’m less inclined to add mine. But I do notice that blogs that get a lot of comments tend to keep getting a lot of comments – that seems like a “duh” statement, but I think what I mean is that certain blogs build up a readership that really wants to connect with the blogger themselves – it’s like they want an opportunity to interact with that blogger specifically. So their comment might be less about a particular tutorial or post and more about feeling like they have an opportunity to “talk” to the blogger. I feel like I see that with mega-comment blogs like Pioneer Woman or Young House Love. No matter what they post, hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of people are commenting on it. And I don’t mean to suggest that their posts aren’t good, just that I think many of the commenters are doing so for a different reason.

16. Hey guys! I’ve been noticing this a lot since the beginning of the year. I’m getting hits, but never any comments. I’ve thought several times this year about giving up my blog altogether. I figure if no one is will to interact with me, why bother! It’s frustrating!

17. Laurie says:

It’s me, Laurie, the girl who cried out for help!!! Thanks, y’all – I am loving and appreciating all this feedback and ideas!!! I def am not too polished, very conversational and also try to engage the reader to leave comments by asking them questions and advice at the end of my posts. It was a very sudden lack of comments. And no I am not blogging for comments. I starting and continue to blog for myself in the main. That’s why I have not yet even taken the steps of hosting a linky, adding advertisers, etc. BUT! It is deflating to blog post after post for weeks on end with very little feedback!!! Like everyone else, I like the interaction and reader love! Can’t help that. BTW, my blog started out as Scene of the Grime and has recently been tweaked (due to personal need for a little change) to Scene of Sublime). I’d love for you all to come by and see me sometime, comments or no comments. This gal just needs a bit of written encouragement every now and then!!! That’s all :) Appreciate all your help!

18. Laurie says:

Oooh! Here’s another question I’ve been wondering about: I’ve noticed that lots of bloggers will email me to thank me for my comment, which is so so so nice and I appreciate it so much. Now I know this is a super dumb question, but is there a shortcut you can take to your commenter’s email so you can jot them a thank you email? When I looked into doing this, it sent me on a goose chase of a sort, looking for their email addy. I just can’t figure out how these bloggers have time to send TUs to all their commenters? Please give a girl a tip if you know what I’m missing here???

19. J. Hill says:

I have been noticing a REAL downtick in comments too, so I am glad to see that I am not the only one! I have tried asking questions at the end of a post, or using a call to action, but still nada. I was worried that it was because I am not good enough about responding via email to the comments I do get.

How ’bout a Crafterminds pledge to be better about commenting on each other’s posts!?!

20. Hey Laurie! If you go into your settings, under “comments” at the very bottom it says “comment notification emailer” if you put your email, blogger will email you every comment you get on your blog. Then if the blogger who left the comment has their email set up you can reply directly to their comment. :) Hope that helps!

• Laurie says:

Thanks! I just went and changed it – let’s hope that will help a bunch!!! I dealy love to thank people as my momma had me writing TU notes by age 4, so I’m sure glad you gave me this info!!! I truly appreciate it :)

21. Michelle L. says:

Great points from everyone, as always! I’m always surprised by which posts get more comments than others. Blogging is a mysterious thing!

I had a question for Laurie about her comments – I just went over to your blog to visit, and when I wanted to leave a comment, I really had to look hard to find where to do it! Maybe it’s a design thing? If your ‘leave a comment here’ was more intuitive, I bet you’d get a huge uptick. I wonder what other people think?

BTW, lovely blog and I like the new name – cute!

22. Lisa Clarke says:

I think that there could be a few things at work. For one thing, I notice that commenting is seasonal. People aren’t spending as much time commenting on blogs in general during the summer. When the weather gets cooler, my comments usually increase.

But maybe the bigger issue is what methods people are using to read blogs these days. If they’re surfing on a mobile phone, commenting is really inconvenient. If they’re reading via Facebook, maybe they prefer to leave a comment there. Same with Twitter. If they’re using a feed reader, maybe they can’t be bothered with the extra keystrokes and time it takes to go directly to the site and leave the comment.

I would suggest doing everything you can to reward comments: link to the top comment-leavers on your sidebar, do a series of interviews featuring your top participators, use “commentlove” to include links to your readers’ latest posts in their comments…

I’ve done all of these things at one time or another, and sometimes there is a really good sense of community going around my blog, and other times it feels like a ghost town. It’s hard to say. Building community is a tricky thing!

23. One reason I don’t comment very often is that I’m surfing blogs on my phone while nursing my bub. My one-handed phone typing is atrocious, so I just don’t bother.

I also hate leaving the “what a great idea!” comments. It just feels lame and attention-seeking, so I only comment if I can add a little bit of me in the response. That’s hard work though!

I think summer is a bad time for commenting as well. People want to spend less time at the computer, so are more in and out when reading blogs.

I’d still like more comments though!

24. kathy says:

I am so glad I checked in tonight. I am a new blogger and I wish I didn’t put such an importance on comments but I am my own worse enemy.
    I am so new I don’t even know why it is so important.

That is really good advice and something I never thought about, ask for a comment.
    Thanks for advice.
    Kathy

25. I have noticed a big dip in my comments. My stats are still steady, so people are coming but not speaking up much. I was blaming the summer for the effect… but maybe that is not the case!

Gosh – I think Heather had some great pearls:

“Is there a call to action at the end? A lot of people won’t comment because you don’t ask them to.”
    – Yes! This is so hard for me to figure out how to do. I try to end some of my posts with questions for the readers… but the response I get is lukewarm. Asking for help or opinions almost always brings in comments, though.

“Appearing “human” sometimes makes all the difference.”
    – This is a great point. Some of my most commented posts are more personal: ‘this my dog.. this is my craft fail or my opinion about X on blogging’ etc.

I also tend to read my Google reader from my smart phone or tablet… typing in a decent and genuine comment is harder from those devices. I’m sure others feel the same.

AND – the source of my traffic has shifted in the past several months. I get many hits from StumbleUpon and Pinterest. I think many of those users are not as engaged as my regular subscribers or those that visit from a link party. (I’m also not participating in as many link parties as before… so that is likely a factor, too)

Another thing I *have* to confess… I’m commenting less on blogs lately myself! When I ask myself why: I wanted a little summer break, felt a bit a slump, etc.
    Only recently did I start to get back in to the habit of commenting and I’m hoping others will get back to it, too!

26. Because of the very nature of this blog post, I’m going to visit each of your blogs & try to add an applicable comment. If you feel so inclined, please return the favor – after all, we are all here for the same reason essentially!

27. Great discussion!! Sister Sheri made some great points!! Well really you all did.
    I have a question– how do you get a list of your top commenters?? I see others doing this but have not a clue as to where that info comes from. And I am on blogger if you need to know.

28. Andi says:

My blog has never been what I call a water cooler blog and I’m okay with it. I’m a librarian and consider what I’m posting reference – people are going to land on my blog via search engine to learn how to make a tabletop ironing board.

When I do get a comment or question, I reply with a comment on the post and email. I figure others might have a similar question or want to know I’m real and paying attention. If the commenter has no plans to return, her question was answered.

I do most of my blog reading via phone and it’s too hard to comment via device. I do try to engage via Twitter and Facebook and hope that’s recognized as affirmation. Today, feedback is fractured among blog comments, facebook, twitter and so on.

When I’m not working at a job in which I cannot access blogs or social media, I’m writing my own two blogs. When I do have time to look at my overstuffed RSS reader, I try to click through and comment on posts that catch my eye BUT I don’t want to work for it. If I have to scroll to the top or look around for your comment link, I’m out. If it says something cutesy like X people have chomped on this post (blanking on an example), I’m too dense to know that’s a comment link. If your page takes forever in a day to load b/c you have a bazillion ads on it, I’ve clicked to the next blog.

29. I was happy to come across this discussion tonight. I’m often discouraged with the lack of comments. I share a project I am SO excite to share with my readers, and the dead silence for days afterwards, kills me. I get loads of traffic, but they sure are quiet. I thought I’d get some real commenting with my (current) First Annie Sloan Project >>> I DO most always have a call to action. But I’ve gotten very few thoughts.

You know what has really got me down right now? I can’t even get people to comment for the chance to win $100.00 Gift Card! For days, I had 2 comments. 100’s came, but only 2 commented. Now there is a few more, but not much. I think….gosh, if free $ doesn’t motivate people, what will? lol

30. Wow, found this from a tweet and I was wondering the same thing. Being a “newbie” I thought maybe I had to wait ’til I was “big time” to get more than 1 or 2 comments on any particular post.

But now I see it’s a number of issues. The proliferation of smart phones, etc. probably is a big one. Also, I feel as others do, if there are already more than few comments that echo what I would say I don’t comment. Just don’t want to sound like a broken record if I can’t say anything original.

However if I visit someone from a link party and there are few or no comments I’ll try to leave something, whether it be great idea or you’ve inspired me to make my own take on it.

Since I’ve only “really” been working on my blog for a month and a half I’ll be curious to see if the change in season makes a difference. Oh and I will definitely be adding a call to action, even though I generally put a question at the end of my post.

Thank you ladies for all this great info…will have to bookmark and check back.

31. Great discussion. I agree with everyone. Summer does seem to be slower. @Heather’s tip about a call to action is crucial. I notice many more comments when I ask a question. But I also love the idea of leaving the post unfinished. When I ask for opinions, I get them!

Another thought – when I started blogging it was sort of a ‘given’ that if you left a comment, the blogger would reciprocate by visiting your blog. That has dropped waaay off lately. (I’m not talking about ‘big’ bloggers)

I always try to visit blogs of ‘new’ commenters. I also try to visit at least 3 new blogs if I’ve linked up to a party. I get a response to my visit, but not a comment on my blog. Which is fine. If you’re not into painting, I totally get that. But there used to be more reciprocation.

Maybe Fall and all the cute projects I’m seeing in Blogland will increase comments. At least, I hope. It’s always nice to know someone is enjoying a post. Or not :p

32. I’ve been blogging little bit over a year now and sometimes I do get comments and sometimes not. For me the comments are not as important as long as I have readers (other than friends and family) although it’s nice to get them once in a while. Personally, I only comment on blog posts that have inspired me, made me laugh or have taught something new I didn’t know before. Also, if I can’t think of anything new to say or add to the discussion I tend to skip commenting.

33. I think Pinterest might be to blame a little bit as well. People pin a picture from your blog because they like the idea but then don’t leave a comment that they like it. I try, especially if I am pinning something from someone’s page, to leave a comment. Even if it is something small.

34. I can not tell you what a relief it was to read through this. My comments have dwindled down to nothing even if I have a huge amount of traffic on an article.

I have found that some websites that seem to have a lot of comments have joined in groups that regularly comment on each other’s sites. You will notice the same people commenting over and over again.

35. Some of my best-trafficked posts have NO comments…but that’s OK. I feel like I provide a service, and it’s OK to read it and not comment. (After all, I don’t call every -heck ANY reporter at my local newspaper to say, “atta boy.”) If you yearn for conversation, FB might be a better place for that. Thanks, Jenny

36. Jennifer says:

I know for me, I don’t get a chance to comment much on blogs because I do most of my blog surfing on my phone and a lot of times it won’t allow me to comment from my phone. I don’t get that many comments, even when I do link up, tweet, comment and all that jazz. It can be tough sometimes.

37. breanna says:

I really appreciate this discussion, but I don’t have anything new to add…HOWEVER, i felt very much obliged to leave a comment, onaccountofbecause this whole thing is about the need for more comments.

38. Sandy says:

So you blog for your ego? No comments mean to no time to comment or not inclined to do so. I would think your visits ticker would be a good source to find out how many readers you have . While it is nice to hear feedback k , feedback should be constructive and informative. Just to comment agreeing with other lists is boring .

My 2 cents
    Sandy

39. Condo Blues says:

I leave comments when I blog surf using my computer – like now. However, I use my iPad more and more for blog surfing. When I use my iPad I don’t comment much if at all because it’s such a pain. The auto correct makes correctly spelled words and phrases turn to jibberish and the touch pad keyboard is twitchy. I noticed that as the number of people who access my blog with smart phones and mobile computing is higher, the number of comments I receive per post is lower.

40. It took a while, but I did what I said and I commented on everyone’s blog who commented on this post (up to my own comment).
    My observations:
    1) Out of 24 blogs that I commented on, only 3 returned the favor. Honestly, before this little exercise, I too was guilty of not commenting on the blogs of those who commented on mine. I would reply to them on my own blog, but I didn’t make the effort to go to their blogs. Lesson learned.
    2) Sometimes I just didn’t have anything to say. Sometimes I had to read through pages & pages, but just couldn’t find anything to comment on. This doesn’t mean a blog is bad. We are all different. Different things appeal to different people.
    And 3) I can’t remember the third thing, but overall I think its pretty simple if you want people to comment, then you need to comment.

41. Cliff says:

I think a blogger is lucky if they get 1 in 100 people actually leaving a comment nowadays. Unless it’s something super controversial, blogs are a great passive experience for the user. Don’t take it personally, it’s just the nature of the web and there are a ton of social media sites where people are spending their time and commenting. Your blog is no less effective, it’s just that the communication paradigm between writer and reader has evolved a little. Keep doing what you love. my 2 cents

42. SMarchel says:

I am super frustrated. I have been blogging for 4 months and I have over 10,000 views but only about 98 comments. Are you serious? There is no way they keep coming back if they don’t like what they are reading, so why don’t they comment? Please help me somebody.

43. Heather says:

Having the same problem with my blog. So you know what I’m appreciating yours by leaving a comment.

44. Marie Cheek says:

Hi, I am not a blogger but love to read blogs. I love seeing the creative things you guys can do and am always amazed and so thankful that you are willing the share the information. I don’t always comment even though I love the project. If the project teaches me something I need for one of my hobbies then I will usually say, ‘Thank you”, and if I see something that I think is a such an outside the box idea related to something I would at home then I will usually comment. I still love the ones I don’t comment on, but they just maybe aren’t my hobbies or something I want to do. For instance I follow a lot of sewing bloggers and sometimes their posts are about childrens clothing. My kids are grown and I don’t have grandkids yet so I’m not really into sewing kids clothing right now. But they sew other things that I can use. So I look at the pics on the kids clothing and don’t really comment. However, now that I know it is important to you guys I will start commenting more.
    I usually find out about a blogger by seeing pin on pinterest. I like to look at the popular posts. I will see a pin that strikes me and go to that site and go ahead and sign up for the email. After a few e-mails from the blogger I can tell if their projects are going to benefit me with the projects that I do. If not I unsubscribe. I have found some great bloggers this way. Some are the larger ones and some are not.
    Anyways I was hoping that it might be helpful to you, getting the perspective of a person who is not a blogger but loves to read blogs.
    Have a great day!

1. Five Ways to Encourage Commenting - [...] for visiting!Last week Heather posed a reader generated question on Crafterminds about commenting. The post generated a fair amount …
  2. Thoughts on Commenting – a Crafterminds Inspired Post - SNAP! Creativity - [...] PluginLast week Heather posed a reader generated question on Crafterminds about commenting. The post generated a fair amount of …
  3. Ask Amanda: Facebook, Twitter and Traffic, Oh My! | CrafterMinds - [...] a Lack of Comments Isn’t a Lack of Love Why Don’t People Comment? 4 Mistakes Bloggers Make 8 Reasons …
  4. I Love Your Comments! - Mad in Crafts - […] reading a post (and the resulting comments) on Crafterminds about a downward trend in blog comments, I decided to …