Blogging can pay the bills, but there’s no single way to make money blogging. Whether you make money on your own site or writing for someone else, if you work hard and do good work, you can get paid to be a blogger.
At today’s #crafterminds Twitter chat, the advice about How to Get Paid to be a Blogger came fast and furious, and a lot of wisdom was shared. Some highlights:
Articles about making money blogging:
Ways to make money blogging:
- Ad networks (An ad network is a 3rd party that sells ads & pays you to place them on your site. Ad networks include: Blogher Rivit, Google Adsense, Glam, Haven Home, Technorati, Kontera. Ad networks typically take about 50% of the gross profits from ads.)
- Ads sold directly (Great if you have time to manage a bunch of ad clients. Selling ads can be a whole 2nd career, which is why it’s hard for a lot of bloggers to go that route!)
- Sponsored posts
- Paid giveaways
- Freelance blogging
- Writing magazine articles
- Writing books
- Work with brands
- Sell merchandise
- Affiliate links
- Sell digital products
Some things to remember when making money blogging:
- Blogging is a slow build toward money (in most cases). Your income increases slowly if you work consistently.
- Income is DIFFERENT for every blog & blogger. There is no set formula.
- The best way to work with brands is develop a media kit and reach out. You will be surprised at how open they are!
- Use the monetary stream that is most natural for your blog. Don’t try to force making money. Waste of time.
- Just bc you have an Advertising page, doesn’t mean they will come. You have to actively pursue sponsors.
- You have to experiment with EVERY kind of income and see what works & doesn’t work for you.
- Reach out to the natural fits first. Did you use their product? Send them a link with your media kit!
- I am a huge believer in “making your own job” – decide what u want to do and pitch it to people.
Read the full transcript for a lot more information:
5 Responses to “How to Get Paid to be a Blogger”
- How to monetize your blog - [...] http://crafterminds.com/2011/10/how-to-get-paid-to-be-a-blogger/ [...]