I’m a no-frills, low tech kinda gal. Too many camera buttons can put me into a tail spin, and something extra to carry will inevitably be left behind. So, my camera of choice is something that I always have on hand…. My iPhone!
Now, to give you some background, point and shoot is my style. I like to keep things super simple. After playing around with the iPhone camera, I elected to splurge and pick up the Camera+ app for a whoopin’ 99 cents! (I know what your thinking- big spender in the house!) But really, this app has made my life easy!!
Here are a couple of tips I have learned along the way for product shots
1. No Flash Photography! Try to take pictures outdoors in natural lighting. If this is not possible due to crazy weather, capture your photo near a window.
2. Declutter your background. This will help keep the focus on the product. Sometimes just a simple background works best. Try a piece of white posterboard (this is magic!) or a plain wooden background like shown with this zipper flower.
3. Keep it real. You do not need crazy or elaborate backdrops, just use the product’s natural setting. If your product is a framed photo, show it hanging on the wall.
4. Focus, Focus, Focus. Only use in-focus pictures. It is better to wait for the perfect shot than use a blurry photo.
5. Devil is in the details. Be sure to capture those special details of your item. Whether it is texture, stitching or color… make sure to capture it.
6. Editing! This is key. Photography doesn’t end at the point and click. Sometimes you need to finesse the image. This is when Camera+ shines for me. I do everything on the phone from cropping to color corrections- it is all simple.
7. Get experimental. Find your style, let your personality shine through and above all – have fun! This can only happen if you take lots and lots of pictures, so get out there and start snapping!
All photos were taken by me on my iPhone with the Camera+ app.
Some of my favorite editing features are:
~Depth of Field
Would love to hear your tips!
Visit Heather here:
7 Responses to “How to Take Amazing iPhone Photos”
- Guest Post on Crafterminds…Tips for Product Photography « The Sewing Loft - [...] Join me today on Crafterminds for some tips and tricks on simple product [...]