There’s no way around it – if you are a craft blogger, you have to be a bit of a photographer too. There’s no way to show off your amazing craft skillz without some decent photos! Today at #crafterminds chat (Monday 4pm E on Twitter), we talked about photography – putting your best pic forward. All our awesome chatters shared their wisdom in the area of photography, and the tips were flying. Here are a few tips, and check the transcript for ALL that chatting goodness.
Blog Photography Tips:
- You DON’T have to have a fancy camera to take engaging photos!
- Making a background: Use a piece of white posterboard for a clean background.
- Making a background: RT @HilemanHoldings: I got a tiny 3-fold display board like youd use for a science fair. Works great!
- Photograph from lots of angles to give yourself options in the photo editing: RT @HomemadeFrontr: I find if I take a lot of pictures from a lot of angles I usually get one thats alright.
- Fill up the viewfinder with your object.
- Add accessories to your photo that give visual cues about the object. (aka “styling”)
- Size & shape: RT @iLoveToCreate: Think how the photo would look square, esp. if you submit to parties! Also see if it pops when its small.
- Learn from others: Use magazines & other blog photos as inspiration. Check out what is being pinned on @Pinterest
- Leave space to add text to your photo: RT @craftmoore I’ve been trying to remember to leave some space in my shots where “title text” can go
- Use daylight as your light source (skip the flash): [email protected]: Skip harsh lighting.Daylight is your friend. Your finished product will look just as beautiful as you see it
- Get close, but not TOO close: RT @muralmaker1: I used to get camera real close up. Now I stand back and use zoom. Much clearer pics
- RT @HilemanHoldings Or set your camera to “flower” mode so you can get close
- DIY Light box: RT @EclecticMamma: DIY lightbox: diaper box, cut out three sides and tape in printer paper, posterboard inside
Blog Photography Articles:
- Check out this great article on taking product/craft photos with your iPhone by @TheSewingLoft ow.ly/a2bfh
- RT @iLoveToCreate: Heres 10 great photo tips of what not to do from @elsiecake. #crafterminds
- I love these simple photo tips from Ruffles & Stuff
- DIY Light Tent
Blog Photography Tools:
- Make or buy a light tent (like this one from Amazon) to help you with professional-looking object photos.
- Many chatters love the Lightscoopas it helps diffuse the light from your flash into your room. Check out the results from Jen at Tatertots and Jello:
- I LOVE the book “How to Photograph Your Baby” – so many great photo principles, and FUN to read
More tips in the chat transcript, and don’t forget to join us every Monday at 4pm Eastern for the chat!
p.s. I used some Amazon affiliate links in this article.
3 Responses to “Simple Blog Photography Tips”
- How to set up your camera for long exposure photography - [...] This, Get That Guide On best slr digital cameraMaybe Later - Inside A Paparazzo’s Camera BagSimple Blog Photography Tips43…
- Big DIY Blogger Survey | CrafterMinds - [...] is here to support whatever that “more” is. Growing blog traffic, promoting posts, taking great photos, writing a great…