The World Doesn’t Get Bloggers: (I’m not some dork in a closet, Mom.)

So I just went to SNAP! blogging conference…and I just have to say that it’s UH-MAZ-ING. The classes were awesome. The location was awesome. The swag? Awesome. But the best part was–the best part ALWAYS IS–the people. There is no other place where a blogger can go and feel completely understood by the people she is surrounded by. No one is going to make you feel like you are this total computer nerd from the 90’s who sits in a dark room with forty computers and a headset talking to some 12-year-old in China. They GET you.

Jen Curtis from Always in Wonder attended SNAP! conference with me. It was quite a sacrifice for her to come–to leave her babies and pay for all her expenses…it wasn’t easy! When she returned, a few people made her feel like it was a waste of time. “I guess it was just really hard for me to leave a place that was so supportive of what I am doing or trying to do, and come home to people who made me feel like a loser.” Jen said.

I also felt the burn of being misunderstood, as someone I know was mocking the conference I was attending. And to me, a craft blogger of over two years, it seems crazy that someone DOESN’T understand it. It seems completely normal to me! I recently asked my own sweet dad if he’d ever visited my blog. “No,” he said, “you’ll just tell me about it.” Um, yeah Dad. That’s the same thing. Let me do a little recap of every single blog post from the last two years. Or you know, you could just VISIT MY BLOG.

Amy Anderson (Mod Podge Rocks) said that she recently visited a friend. When asked what she does, she replied, “I’m a blogger.” Dead silence. Crickets. Tumbleweeds blowing by. Is it seriously THAT hard to comprehend what it means to be a blogger?

For the record: BLOGGERS ARE AWESOME. We are powerful. We are smart. We have influence. And we know what is going on! Colleen Jorgensen of Mural Maker totally educated her 28-year-old PR whiz niece on SEO and tags. Her niece asked her how she knew all that information and she said because I’m a blogger! And then she got the stare. The blank awkward-silence stare.

Maybe the reason we know so much about Social Media is because we do these things every. single. day. And we talk! If we have a question, we ask each other. Or we ask our Facebook fans. Or we go on Twitter and ask a general question to everyone out there. And then we find out and implement. And we know how awesome we are, but the whole world outside of us seems to not understand just how awesome we are.

What can we do? Umm…probably nothing. Because the people who don’t understand us will never understand us until they decide to have an open mind and actually pay attention to what we are doing.

Or maybe when we take over the world…THEN they’ll listen to us.

12 Responses to “The World Doesn’t Get Bloggers: (I’m not some dork in a closet, Mom.)”

1. Kristin says:

I’ve always called myself a writer, because it sounds so much more respectful but I’m not a writer, I am a blogger!
    While the technical glitches cause tears and meltdowns, I love solving them.

And I agree, there’s no understanding from folks that don’t want to get it.

2. Catherine says:

I love this! I was at Snap too and you’re right – amazing! It was wonderful to be with like-minded women. Oh, and LOL about taking over the world!

3. Amen! Shelley from House of Smiths said she tells people that she’s in “social media” and that she also blogs. It was so great to meet everyone at SNAP.

4. I usually tell people that I’m a “freelance writer.” Much more traditional.

However, with the recent Pinterest craze, and so many people talking about these great projects that they find there… maybe I should start telling people that I write content that supports Pinterest? Tee hee!

5. Nat says:

So I’m not the only one who wishes her parents read her blog? It kind of irks me that they don’t read it even though I told them it would mean a lot to me if they did. I only post twice a week. I secretly wonder if I should sign them up on my email list.

6. heather says:

I also tell people I am a freelance writer. Or that I own a website. I have learned over many years of jobs with weird titles that have to be explained, to just pick an easily-identifiable “job title” that would go well in that song “Who are the people in your neighborhood?”

Ohhhhh, a WEBSITE OWNER is a person in your neighborhood, in your neighborhood, in your neighborhoooooooood!

7. amy says:

The biggest question I get after “what do you do?” (and then get the blank stare) is “you can make money doing that???” Well, kind of. Hahaha!

8. Kasey says:

You are all so smart! I say I am an artist! That sounds like someone who probably has no job and paints in my pj’s. I mean that is true but I would like it to sound better. Maybe I will switch it up to writer or or something equally as smart sounding.

Since I mostly just stick with posting tutorials I can say I teach art! Wow you all inspired me and I am super jealous I did not go to SNAP!

9. Julie says:

I get the blank stare and changed subject too. Have mentioned different family members in several posts but they have no idea because they don’t read them. Wow, I feel at home here.

10. This was so nerdy and great! I found it via that Pinterest place, so good job networking 😉

I think once you’re a blogger you can’t ever stop. When I started it wasn’t anything people got paid for. Unfortunately. So as a returning blogger I’m learning all the new ropes.

It’s just fun.

11. I absolutely love this post! I myself have not heen fortunate enough to make it to any sort of blogger conference, but it sure would be nice. i hate the stare & then to try & explain in simple man terms….pullin my hair out is easier! Ha. Id love for you to guest post on my blog. if interested, please email me 🙂